6.09.2016

Meet Rizzo: Mid-Century Desk Refinished!

Meet Rizzo, she's a little classy + a little trashy = mostly sassy.


Sometimes I'm so in the zone that I forget to take a good before pic. You can see it was very scratched and dinged up. Look at that delicious detail!


The desk had good bones, though, so I snatched it up at $35 from a friend's post to a Facebook sale group.


The kiddos love to help paint and the underside of the desk was the perfect practice spot. Shhhh don't tell.


This desk took 2 coats of Kilz primer. This stuff is expensive, but worth the effort. Sometimes, the previous color will bleed through but Kilz blocks that, especially with such a dark color. The desk is solid wood but covered in a veneer. I do not understand the logic there.




Never mind that huge splotch of paint. Oops.


After 2 coats of Kilz and waiting for that to dry, I used 3 cans of Rustoleum spray paint in Heirloom white. My entire bedroom set is finished in that color and I love how light and bright the room feels now.
I cannot believe I used to like everything so dark! Tastes change. You can see more of the master bedroom room reveal here.



The scale of the frame compared to the desk is all off now. We took our old desk to the dumpster because it was in such bad shape. I cannot bring myself to buy cheap-o particle board furniture anymore!

Since we are moving in about 30 days, I'm not going to legit decorate, instead taking things from around the house.


I painted the drawers glossy black and used my gold leaf pen for the first time (!) to make a faux "inlay". The hardware is original.


That pineapple will definitely be going into my office. It makes me smile so much.


The calendar, from Anthropologie (artwork from Rifle Paper Co.), matches perfectly. I need to track down frames once 2016 is over.

What about you?? Have you refinished anything lately?? What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I love it! You would do so well as a legit interior designer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carrie! That is so sweet. It's just a fun hobby at this stage of life :)

      Delete