4.04.2016

Giant Marquee Letter: I'll Take an "A" for the Win

Sometimes the clouds part and heaven smiles down on you. When I saw this giant marquee letter on my local Facebook selling group, I didn't immediately jump on it. I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much since we are moving this summer and saving, saving, saving every penny. It's 36"x66"x3". You guys, I am 66" tall. It's as big as me.



A few days later, I saw the seller had reduced the price and I jumped. I mean, how often do you see legit marquee letters? Pretty rare. So here we are. I decided to paint the letters cobalt blue. I'm bringing in touches of blue and that was what I had on hand. Free-ninety-nine is my kinda price.

It took 2 coats of paint and a day of drying in this sub-tropical climate in Florida. I kept running outside and running my hands over the letter to check if the paint was dry. I brought that letter inside the second it was dry in case there were any other crazy-eyed-marqee-letter-thieves hanging around my neighborhood.

Once it was inside I thought, " I like the blue, but it's a little boring." Then I remembered my love affair with gold paint. This link here for Rub 'n Buff Metallic Gold Leaf or this link for Rub N Buff Wax Metallic Finishes 6 Color Sampler Set #2 . This stuff is as thick as toothpaste. You squeeze a little on your finger and rub it lightly over whatever surface. A brush just wouldn't give as much control, so I use my finger.

Here is a close-up of the metal work:



The gold highlights all that delicious detail that was lost once it was painted over.

What do think? Do you like the blue? What have you been thrifting lately?

P.S. You can see more of my thrifting posts here:

http://clearcutcrystal.blogspot.com/2015/08/an-honest-review-of-homemade-chalk-paint.html

http://clearcutcrystal.blogspot.com/2015/08/vintage-nautical-sewing-table-update.html





No comments:

Post a Comment