2.08.2016

Wedding Dress Upcycle: Slouchy Leather Bag

Now that I've got a few legit sewing projects done (and, to be honest, those projects were a much needed refresher course from 7th grade Home Ec.), I completed this project with no help from the ol' internet. This all came from my noggin.

If you are just joining in my Wedding Dress Upcycle series, click the following links for the rest of the other hip and happenin' projects:

Wedding Dress Upcycle: Knockoff Anthropologie Rosette Pillow


 Wedding Dress Upcycle: Wedding Dress Clutch


Aaaaand part 1 of the series: 10+ Ways to Reuse that Wedding Dress

I got super inspired after looking at leather or "pleather" tutorials on Pinterest and thought that it would be nice to make a purse that I would actually use on a semi-regular basis. I fell in love with the camel vinyl and it looked FANTASTIC next to the creamy-ness of my wedding satin-y goodness.

When I started out, I was just going to make a slouchy bag, but I thought why not make something crazy good?? Something I would love to wear. And then the project got bigger and bigger...Here's the cut list:


 bottom:
(2) 11.5 x 8" leather
(2) 3.5 x 8.5" leather
(1) 11.5x3.5" leather

middle section:
(2) 11.5 x 3" satin
(2) 3.5 x 3" satin

top section:
repeat middle section

leather piping:
3" x measure perimeter (top of bag)
fold over and stitch inside out, then turn right side out

Inner Lining:
(2) 11.5 x 13"
(2) 13 x 3.5"
(1) 3.75 x 8.25"

Handle:
(1) 3 x 36"
I pieced the handle together because I only bought 12" of vinyl. I ran out toward the end...
(1) 3 x 36" in contrasting fabric if that floats your boat, or just cut (2) of 3 x 36"
Stitch contrasting fabrics together, then turn right side out

When you piece everything together, make you back stitch EVERYTHING. I am very abusive towards my purses, they get used hard. So I stitched twice over many of the pieces.


I cut up an old cross-body bag to get the metal hardware. To make my bag extra awesome.

I did look online, but there is hardly anything that I could find for purse making. Not a lot of people making purses out there...I did fine some wristlet straps on Etsy. The few I found on Amazon seemed to be of poor quality.

I don't have many pics of the process because I think my son deleted the few I took...hmmmph. 




I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have, please leave a comment here and I'll try to get back to you ASAP.

Happy sewing,
Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment