12.14.2015

CONTAIN-er that Clutter!

There's a secret that interior decorators don't really talk about much. It's so second nature to us that we don't even think about explaining why or how we do it. Containers. Contain-ering that clutter.

Confused?

Well, containers contain clutter. Brilliant, I know. This means you use the space you have to contain that mess. You don't need more containers or fancy systems, you use what you have and purge the rest. I can't take credit for this awesome concept as I learned it from the genius/self-professed slob at A Slob Comes Clean. She also explains why she doesn't buy a lot of containers here.

Where do piles naturally occur in your home?

Can a basket, bowl, or tray corral that clutter?

Real Life: the basket off to the right holds toys and kid clutter. When it gets full, we take it to the rooms and put away. The entertainment unit holds Wii games and controllers, DVDs, and any living room stuff. I didn't notice the spy glass under the dresser until I was editing the pic. But that's real life.

This thrifted brass bin on my desk holds coupons and little papers that need to be used often. I clean it out periodically when it gets full or when I need to take pics for the blog. Haha. Who am I kidding? I clean it out when I need to take pics.

This area has evolved over the years as our family has grown. I want to buy more baskets without taking out a loan, so I'm waiting for the stars to align on that one. Shoes on the bottom, the middle will be baskets (one for napkins, vitamins, and what-not, one for church stuff, and one for school papers), and the top will be a coffee bar. Priorities.

This herringbone (a.k.a. best ever) fabric bin I found at Home Goods keeps shoe clutter neatly tucked away. I store the shoes vertically so the men in my life don't have to pull every shoe out to find the one they want. I'm the only one who does this, so I fix it once a week and don't sweat it.

This plate beside my bed holds any jewelry, bobby pins, or my glasses at the end of a long day.


Something magical happened when I placed that thrifted yellow bowl on my husband's night stand. Suddenly the small cluttery items were all contained. All of his pocket debris gets tossed there and our marriage is saved (obviously I am being dramatic, but yeah, I can't stand clutter). I empty it once a week when I take the trash from the bedrooms.

My favorite types of organizers:
Large Capacity Makeup Organizer
Rattique Storage Tote, Java
Over-the-Door 42-Pocket Organizer

What are your favorite ways to organize? Do you like pretty matching bins or are you a rock what ya got type?

Happy organizing,
Crystal

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed looking at stuff in your blog. You're really talented. And I love vintage stuff, antiques, DIY projects (eventhough I haven't done much of that!) Keep it going. You're great! Kristina Colucci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed looking at stuff in your blog. You're really talented. And I love vintage stuff, antiques, DIY projects (eventhough I haven't done much of that!) Keep it going. You're great! Kristina Colucci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Kristina! It's such a fun creative outlet. That comment means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete