11.24.2015

One Board Challenge: DIY Console Table

Okay, I know, I know, the One Board Challenge was so last month. Here I am late to the game, but you guys. I made a table with no help. Usually hubby pitches in when I need muscle, but I did this all on my own!

(BTW, for those of you shocked to see a post, Disney kicked our butts. Both hubby & I work full time, have full lives, and jumped straight back into life again. But so worth it.)

Back to my moment. I made dis.


I used the directions from Ana White, because she is the the bomb dot com. I actually used a different source than she did, but saved about the same amount of money. 

Life and Home:
(16) floor flanges $1.79, total $28.64
(8) 12" pipes $2.15. total $17.20
(4) casters, $5.39, total $21.56
shipping $11

Home Depot:
Minwax stain, Honey, already had on hand
220 grit sandpaper, sander
(80) 3/4" screws $4ish
(1) 2x12x16'  $22ish

Even with shipping, I saved about half of what I would pay at my local big box store. No brainer there. I did get the wood from Home Depot and had them cut the 16' board into 4' sections. The goal was a console table that was long and low.

The wood was propped against the house, sanded down (knocking off all sharp edges and corners), and stained. It took a full 24 hours in this humid FL climate to dry. I plan to paint a coat of polyurethane soon.


No joke, there was a moment of panic when I saw this HUGE gap, but I started playing with heights-twisting pipes and flanges. I had to twist that one quite a bit, but it's all connected and sturdy.

IMPORTANT: Do in this order-screw in flanges to board, twist in pipes, attach the flange to the top of the pipe, flip the whole thing, then screw in flanges. DO NOT screw in all flanges then try to screw the pipes. You will curse the day you were born.

Confession: I eyeballed everything. No measuring, no squaring up, nada. I thought about it and it just didn't need to be done.

Just make sure your boards are exactly measured when cut.

Not the cheapest project ever, and you could definitely use cheaper casters, but I chose to go industrial and beefy. Total cost $104.40

I'm still playing with arrangements and I really need to buy baskets for storage, but I'm just stoked to have it done.


This will serve as a hot chocolate/coffee bar for the holidays and maybe just a coffee bar the rest of the year? Eventually the artwork will change as well.


What do you think? What would you have done differently? Please leave any questions you may have in the comments and I'll do my best to answer them.

Update:
Here's the table styled as a hot chocolate station and coffee bar:

Hot Chocolate Bar and Coffee Station

 Here it is styled for spring:


http://clearcutcrystal.blogspot.com/2016/02/spring-home-tour-2016.html

 And here it is for Valentine's Day:

http://clearcutcrystal.blogspot.com/2016/02/crazy-easy-valentines-day-banner.html

Happy building,
Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment