8.20.2015

Thrift Store Score: Beautiful Chair Saga

My first huge project happened when four beautiful chairs happened to be hanging out in the thrift store. They were like a magnet, drawing me deeper into the back of the store. Look at that curved back!


They are so fantastically unique that I needed them in my life. I posted the pic in Instagram (@clearcutcrystaldesigns) and everyone said, "Yes!" So I bought them.

If I have learned one thing on this DIY journey, it's that you need the right tools for the job. DO your research, watch the tutorials, and buy the right tools. Don't skimp on this.

As you can tell, the chairs needed to be stripped, sanded, and restained. I watched several different tutorials on YouTube and started by using citistrip stripping gel. It's a green product and doesn't smell all that bad.

The seats were disgusting. They actually fit into the seat. There is a huge notch that made recovering them...fun.

I will say that stripping furniture is extremely satisfying. It feels good to take something neglected or worn down and bring it back to its former glory, or to make something beautiful that was once so ugly. So, yeah.

I used Minwax Polyshades Bombay Mahogany Gloss and have since learned that it stinks. There is a reason that stain and poly sealer should be kept separate. The poly sealer dries really fast, but the stain needs to be wiped on and then wiped off. You do get streaking if you don't work in looooong strokes and work fast. It took a little bit for me to get the hang of it.

They are still beautiful.


 I wrapped the seats like a present, cutting where needed to fit those wretched notches. They are so unique and the consensus seems to be they are from the 60's or very early 70's.

Let me know in the comments what you think. Have you ever recovered something before? I'm really intimidated by the whole process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment