8.04.2015

HUGE Art with HUGE Impact


After seeing a tutorial on printing HUGE prints, I was so inspired to find something for my living room. I'm not going to pretend to have all the answers, but I can offer a few tips.

Don't accidentally use an Instagram photo because it's smaller. The pic needs to be as big as possible. The pic on the right holds special meaning to me and I didn't realize until later that that must have been the issue. It's a little pixelated but looks fantastic from a distance.

I wanted to use pics that had memories attached, not staged photo in front of a white board--which would have made editing so much easier. It took quite awhile to get the pics cleaned up.

I used Pic Monkey to edit, and while tedious, turned out to be really quite easy. What a cutie!! I adjusted the lighting, applied the black and white filter (there are several to choose from), and cleaned up the background. He looks like an English gentleman.

I would have used Staples to print, but they have been closing all around me, so I used FedEx Office, formerly Kinko's. The woman who helped me knew immediately what I needed when I asked for an engineer print, which I was totally nervous about. She tried to warn me that the resolution was not high enough. When it printed she was so surprised that it turned out OK. I'm thrilled with the results.

A couple tips: an iPhone 5 does not have high enough resolution. There is no way to increase resolution, but there are ways to make it better.
1. Resize the file to the size you need it.
2. Play with lighting and the black and white filter.
3. Use the best camera you have access to, not an iPhone 5, and not an Instagram pic.

I would definitely do this project again--but I'll use my nice camera next time.

Happy decorating,

Crystal

1 comment: