6.23.2015

Stressed by a Cluttered Room? Undecorate!

 
I've mentioned before how my living room has been a real struggle. It's dark, serves way too many functions, and has many doors. It's also a clutter hot spot. We dump everything when we first walk in. Sadly, I am just as much to blame.

Shoes, school papers, and toys are everywhere!
 
I think shoes are mostly under control. School work is too, for the most part. Baskets are a decorator's friend.

But I read somewhere that if you are stressed by a space, un-decorate. How simple is this idea? So that's what I've been doing. Then I ran across this article about the New York Times bestseller The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing. I want to order it soon. I read the huge excerpt on Amazon and it basically says, "Only keep the items that spark joy." If you really think about it and apply it, it's like automatic permission to get rid of things.

This desk will be the death of me. It's just such a flat surface, so ready and welcoming of paper clutter. Ugh.

I've been wanting to rearrange, and after studying where the mess comes from, finally felt ready to tackle it. If a space doesn't have "my" feng shui it unsettles me. I fuss until it's just right. I know I'm not the only one that does this. Amiright?? 

Overall, I'm happy with the changes. This room has too much going on, has too many people contributing to the chaos. It's not this huge transformation that will land me on the cover of Better Homes & Gardens, but sometimes you just need to undecorate!

This could become a series of posts, I'm kind of loving this.


No comments:

Post a Comment